As Executive Editor of the Center for Humans and Nature Press Books, Gavin develops and directs transdisciplinary projects that seek to illuminate what it means to become human within a more-than-human world. Gavin received a BA from Pepperdine University, a Master of Divinity from Princeton Theological Seminary, and his doctorate from the University of Florida, with a specialization in Religion and Nature. His dissertation research examined the religious, cultural, and ethical values involved in the reintroduction of wolves to the southwestern United States.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO HUMANS & NATURE:
Articles in Minding Nature:
- Sing ‘Til It’s True
- Dancing with Truth
- Empathy and Entanglement
- The Kinship Project
- Descending into the Anthropocene
- Shagbark Thoughts
- Remembering George Rabb (1930-2017)
- Healing the Urban Wild
- A Conversation on Wildness
- The Many Facets of Urban Nature
- Civic Agriculture in Chicago
- Connecting Why to How
- A World Made of Stories
City Creatures Blog posts:
- Waxwings and Wonder
- You Are Animal
- Divining the Sky
- Hungry Ghosts and Holy Prairie
- Steve, A Seagull Story
- Orbits and Orientation
- Laugh, Kingfisher
- Ramble On
- Cougar Towns and River Cats
- A Question of Monarchs
- The Gemstone Beetle
- A Reunion of Bison and Tallgrass
- The Vulning Earth
- An Etiquette of Sound
- The Artist Who Would Be a Crow
- The Peregrine’s City
- The Disruptive Eye
- In and Out of Place—Reflections on Castor canadensis; or, Leave It to Beaver?
- There’s No I in Human
- Commuting Coyotes
- Homing Pigeons and Finding Home
- A More Subtle Kind of Extinction
Books for the Center for Humans and Nature:
- Kinship: Belonging in a World of Relations, a five-volume series (Planet, Place, Partners, Persons, and Practice), co-editor with Robin Wall Kimmerer and John Hausdoerffer, CHN Press, 2021.
- The Way of Coyote: Shared Journeys in the Urban Wilds, University of Chicago Press, 2018.
- Wildness: Relations of People and Place, co-editor with John Hausdoerffer, University of Chicago Press, 2017.
- City Creatures: Animal Encounters in the Chicago Wilderness, co-editor with David Aftandilian, University of Chicago Press, 2015.
Visit Gavin Van Horn’s website.